Thursday, January 01, 2009

2008 recap: spinning

OK, so last year was busy. Very busy. Not so busy that I didn't have the time to do anything, but busy enough that I didn't have the time to write about it. So, here we go:

Viime vuonna oli niin kiire, etten ehtinyt kirjoittaa mitään vaikka paljon tulikin tehtyä. Tässä loppuvuoden tuloksia:

From somewhere around - err.... August (!) Blue Estonian wool spun on a wheel, 2-ply laceweight, 52 g, ca. 265 m. The pic is bad, but there isn't much light and my phone camera just can't do it, not even with flash. The yarn itself actually came out pretty nicely.

Elokuulta: sinistä vironvillaa rukilla. 2-säikeistä, 52g ja n. 265m.



Showing off the new niddy-noddy I and my dad made from an old broom handle (recycling!):

Viipsinpuu on kyhätty kokoon vanhasta harjanvarresta ja kahdesta ruuvista isän kanssa. Ei tarkkoja mittoja (olisiko keskipuu ollut 30 cm ja ristikkäispuut n. 20 cm?), mutta tällä saa aikaiseksi n. 60cm pitkän vyyhden:



And for a tech explanation - I spun first one bobbin full of singles, then put it on the noddy and divided roughly in half. Roughly, but not exactly - so I did an Andean plying bracelet and connected the short end with the long end and Andean plied the rest:

Kehräsin ensin yhden rullan täyteen, jaoin sen sitten kahdelle kerälle ja kertasin ne yhteen. Toinen kerä oli isompi, joten kun pienempi kerä loppui, kertasin lopun langan perulaisen kertausrannekkeen avulla itsensä kanssa (Abby Franquemont on kirjoittanut tästä hyvän artikkelin.



From November, there's this white Finnsheep spun on the same wheel, 2-ply laceweight, 31g, ca. 185 m. I got my first pair of hand cards and made some rolags for the last bit of the wool, and it was fun! Unfortunately, I had trouble with tension when plying and was too tired to actually solve them, so as a result this skein is half overplied and half underplied. Oh, and the colours are off, this is a creamy white and not bluish-green!

Marraskuulta on tämä valkoinen suomenlammas, myös rukilla kehrättyä 2-säikeistä. 31g, n. 185 m. Ikävä kyllä en ollut tarpeeksi kärsivällinen rukkia säätäessäni, joten lanka on puoleksi yli- ja puoleksi alikierteistä.



The colours are true in this photo of my plying setup - I put knitting needles through the bobbins to create the improvised lazy Kate with the (traditional Finnish wood-strip) basket:

Tässä kuva kertauksesta - pärekori ja pitkät neulepuikot ovat oivallinen apu tähän!



In November, I also tried one-handed long draw with some brown Finnsheep. As you can guess, it came out thick and thin - I noticed that the better rolags you make, the easier it is to do; also, adjusting the drive band tension correctly is important. I still have some brown left, so I'll practice more. Fun!

Lopuksi, kokeilin englantilaistyylistä "pitkää vetoa" yhdellä kädellä (English longdraw). Jos tätä kokeilee, kannattaa karstata lepereet huolella ja kokeilla, mikä rukin säätö parhaiten toimii. Huomasin, että kun muuttaa hihnan kireyttä tukin isosta ruuvista, rukki vetää lankaa puolalle joko nopeasti (hihna kireällä) tai hitaasti (hihna löysällä) - hitaasti on hyvä ohutta lankaa varten, nopeasti taas paksua lankaa varten.



I've also been spindle-spinning some lovely white and baby-blue Merino, but more of that later. I still have some roving left!

Värttinällä on vielä ihanan pehmeää sinivalkoista merinoa, mutta sitä on vielä jäljellä!

No comments: